Tuesday, January 21, 2020

My Efforts in Maintaining a Sustainable Brand & Studio



Something I am really passionate about is trying to be as eco friendly and conscious as I possibly can within Rebecca Wise Studio. My mum taught me from an young age that it's important to recycle, reuse and reduce waste and now that I'm older I really understand the importance of sustainability within my business and life in general. When I first started Rebecca Wise Studio of summer 2019 one of my main goals was to make sure that I tried to be sustainable as possible within my means regarding packaging and waste. I still have some work to do and I haven't perfected my efforts 100% but I am willing and passionate about maintaining a brand that is Eco-friendly. It's important to me because I don't want to add to environmental issues and I believe that when starting any business it's important to think about and have good ethics and values.

Some of the ways in which I try to be conscious about sustainability in Rebecca Wise Studio is:

  • Using biodegradable bubble wrap
  • Reusing newspaper, old papers and bubble wrap etc, for padding when packaging orders
  • Reusing old cardboard boxes that I have to package orders in
  • I use cardboard packaging for all orders that can be reused or recycled.
  • Using tissue paper and shred that can be recycled/reused
  • Using non-toxic and lead free clay and glazes
  • I reuse old plastic packaging to cover my clay pots in the green-ware stage
  • I have rescued old tiles that were going to been thrown out to use as plates to place my clay pots on in the green-ware stage

Some of my sustainability goals for 2020:

  • To find sustainable tape to tape boxes up with. This is a hard one as most recyclable tapes are not biodegradable even if they made using recycled materials.
  • To find a source where I can make biodegradable and compostable packaging stickers ( most companies that make stickers don't use materials that are biodegradable due to plastic/the sticky materials on the back cant be recycled)
  • To make 100% recycled paper business cards once my old ones runs out
  • Experiment with reclaiming clay

I am really excited to make more efforts to be sustainable in 2020. I have recently designed a new logo for my Rebecca Wise Studio so it will be really exciting to see it transferred into stickers and business cards that are eco-friendly, recycable and compostable too. 


Thank you so much for reading. Do you have any tips on sustainability? Do you have any goals based on sustainability for 2020? I's love to know! 


Post a Comment

© Rebecca Wise Studio Blog. Design by FCD.